METALWORKING: MOLDING AND CASTING
Sino Concept has extensive experience in the field of founding and casting. Our expertise in casting allows us to manufacture to your custom specifications. In the following you will find out more about molding and casting techniques that are utilized at Sino Concept.
Casting is the process of pouring liquid metal into a mold, which contains a hollow with a desired shape. The metal sets into the new shape as it solidifies. After removing the surplus material from the metal we achieve the new workpiece.
FUNDAMENTAL PROCESS OF CASTING
The elemental process of metal casting consists of five elements:
- Molding: A mold is formed of a material that can withstand the operating temperatures of the casting process.
- Pouring: The molten metal is poured into the mold and fills the hollow cavity.
- Solidification: The metal cools down and forms the new workpiece.
- Mold Removal: The cold casting is removed from the mold.
- Finishing Process: The cast workpiece can be cleaned, trimmed, heat-treated, machined, controlled, powder coated, etc.
THE 4 DIFFERENT MOLDING PROCESSES
- Sand Casting Processes: A mold is produced by shaping a refractory material to form a cavity of the desired shape so that molten metal can be poured into the cavity. The mold cavity needs to maintain in its shape until the metal has cooled down and the workpiece can be removed
- Die-Cast and Permanent Mold Processes: Three families of molding and casting processes can be named as permanent mold processes. These include permanent mold casting, die casting (high-pressure die casting) and low-pressure permanent mold casting. In contrast to sand casting processes, in which a mold is destroyed afterward, permanent mold casting uses the mold repeatedly.
- Ceramic and Plaster Mold Processes: These casting processes (Investment Casting, Ceramic Molding, Plaster Molding) are unique due to the use of ceramic and plaster as mold. These processes offer a high degree of precision in regard to dimensions, as well as excellent surface finishes.
- Rapid Prototyping Processes: Rapid Prototyping (RP) is a general name that includes a range of methods used to fabricate objects from CAD (Computer-Aided Design) data. RP is most commonly used in sand casting, investment casting and plaster molding to produce an actual cast part to test for form, fit and function. It is also used to determine the approximate final properties of the cast parts.
5 ADVANTAGES OF CASTING
- 100% recyclability.
- Produce complex geometries.
- Near net shape – less effort for finish-machining.
- Every technically important metal can be cast: lead, tin, copper, gold, aluminum, magnesium, iron and steel.
THE HISTORY OF CASTING
|5000 BC - cast gold in West Asia|
4000 BC - cast copper insignia in Shaan Xi, China
2700 BC - the start of the copper age in Europe
2000 BC - preponderance of Cu-Sn-bronzes in old cultures
500 BC - the start of the iron casting in China (“Chu” = “cast”)
AD 1390 - cast ammunition and weapons
AD 1800 - discovery of the light metals (Ti 1791, Mg 1808, Al 1825)
AD 1942 - First instruction to produce spherulitic (nodular) graphite iron
CASTING AT SINO CONCEPT
Most of our casting products are derived from carbon enriched cast iron or aluminum. The major advantage of cast iron over steel is the lower melting point. That means that it is easier to pour when it is molten.
- Cast iron: It is particularly useful for the development of corrosion resistant parts and complex shapes, like Sino Concept’s tree guard.
- Ductile iron: This iron alloy, also known spheroidal graphite iron (SG Casting), includes carbon and silicon. As the name suggests, ductile iron is more elastic than other alloys thanks to the forming of nodular graphite which is released during the cooling process. These characteristics allow us to create a more resistant and durable product.
Casting with durable and strength ductile iron is also much more cost-effective compared to alternative metal alloys.
- Aluminum: We also manufacture with aluminum. It is much lighter than iron, rust resistant and easier to machine into shape. It allows us to make solid parts with a low density.
CHOOSE CAST PRODUCTS FROM SINO CONCEPT!
- Competitive Prices: We manufacture your products in-house in China. By choosing Sino Concept as your manufacturer you can sidestep the intermediaries and pay factory prices.
- Customized: If you have a certain project which needs a custom solution then Sino Concept is your casting solution! We specialize in aluminum and iron casting. With these processes and many more, we are able to manufacture the products that you require tailored to your exact specifications.
- Technical Expertise: Our friendly and professional technical team understands that each customer has different casting requirements. They will ensure that your products are cast the way that you want and follow your order through every step from design to delivery.
- A Responsive International Team: Get in touch with our friendly sales team for a detailed personalized casting quote including pricing and estimated shipping times.
We also offer finishing options including e-coating, hot-dip galvanizing, zinc plating, and powder-coating.
SINO CONCEPT: OUTSOURCE CASTING TO CHINA
Do you have any special casting needs? Sino Concept will help you!
With many years of experience in the field of steel manufacturing and casting, we offer a wide range of quality products based on our customer’s specifications, like our display panels.
Making the choice to work with Sino Concept means that you are choosing to work directly with a European manufacturer in China, without any middleman. Therefore, you profit from an unbeatable price!
Feel free to contact us. Together, we will find the solutions to suit your casting needs!